Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Full Moon

I love celebrating the Moon Cycle!  Happy Full Moon, by-the-way.  I do much of my herbal preparation during the full and new moons.  I didn't do much gardening over the last week as usual, due to all of the rain.  Besides, my garden had passed the test of a sunny weekend off a few weeks ago with flying colors!  I noticed that my little green babies are becoming big green babies!  As they mature, they have to be able to stand on their own with my continued supervision of pest management and weeding.  I need to weed as soon as I get a good free day with sun.  I am thinking possibly tomorrow?  We will see the what the weather does.  My only concern truly is the crab grass that needs to be dealt with before it gets out of hand.  The few dandelions, shamrocks, violets and other edible wild herbs can stand to help maintain soil structure and be added to salads, wraps, and other dishes.  I am seeing wild foods as the "new" delicacy.  I see wild foods EVERYWHERE!  In people's yards, roadsides, fields, woodlands, sidewalks even.  There is an abundance of foods all around us!  No one should ever go hungry as long as we are able to properly id wild foods and herbs that are literally under our feet and within grasp.  These foods, I am sure are much more nutritive than much of the foods in the marketplace today.  It is a good idea to get acquainted with no more than a few at a time.  Take time to know what is growing right around you because that is what will serve you well in case there is a need. 

I am enjoying the heightened awareness of the abundance that is all around.  Plant foods and medicine wants to serve us, so they follow us wherever we go.  You may notice some if you pay attention.  I will go into this further the next time because, it is late into the night/early in the morning.  I will follow up with some visual images to serve as examples of some wild common edibles/herbs you my find along your path.  For me and my path, I find chickweed (which is on its way out due to the heat), dandelion, plantain, red clover, white clover, shamrocks, wild lettuce, poke weed, violet...Trust me, the list can go on.  I haven't even mentioned the trees, bushes, vines & such.  I DON'T DO MUSHROOMS!  Not yet, anyways.  I am not THAT brave yet.  I take care to stay in my lane.  Open your eyes.  What wonderful weeds/herbs are trying to get your attention?

No comments:

Post a Comment