Monday, May 28, 2012

Yes, I am an Herbalist!

One thing that I found interesting very early on my trip as I was going through immigration and customs in Nigeria.  When I handed the forms for entry, there was a section that asked about my occupation.  I put Herbalist.  When I handed the man the form at the desk, he twisted up his face and said, "YOU are an HERBALIST?"  He sounded shocked and appalled. I looked him in the eyes and smiled very happily, "Yes I am!"  "This is my very first visit and I am so excited!" 

He looked at me as if I am crazy and handed me my papers and I moved on to baggage.  I later found out that in Nigeria, the term Herbalist is something to be feared and demonized.  They think of it as evil witch doctors that take lives in rituals and such.  I had to take care to spend time to educate that my purpose is to provide natural ways to health and wellness.  I send love in every direction.  God is love.  

It is a trip how good things can be twisted to corrupt the origin of things.  We have to search our own hearts and research things for ourselves because when some tell lies long enough, they begin to believe it themselves.  I am glad that through interaction and conversation, people were able to see that I am quite unlike what they once perceived an "Herbalist" to be.  



No comments:

Post a Comment