Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Yes, Your Child Will Eat and Enjoy Vegetables!

 By Aura Agape, Wholistic Wellness Consultant, Master Herbalist

Are you having trouble getting your child to eat their fruits and veggies?  Instead of nagging, try demonstrating. I have no problem getting children to eat and enjoy vegetables that are in my care and presence. I don’t force or scold them. I just show them how much I enjoy eating my own and then I start on theirs (sometimes).  I thoroughly enjoy the flavors of raw, juicy, and crunchy fruits and vegetables.  It doesn’t hurt to eat them with your fingers too. I know that it is not proper western etiquette to eat a meal, even a portion of it with your fingers but, when you are working with a toddler or small child, it is more important to demonstrate how delicious vegetables can be.  Usually, even a child that is a fan of veggies will ask to try for themselves when they see how much I am really enjoying my food.  I see that they even ask for seconds!
As I take each bite I tell them not only how yummy they are but, how they help us to be healthy and strong. We all want to grow up to be healthy and strong don’t we? I like to throw in a statement that my auntie would tell me about carrots, “…it makes you pretty!”  After that statement was made, carrots became my new favorite! She didn’t lie either. Carrots do help aid healthy skin, hair and nails and that helps beauty doesn’t it?

Many children like crunch. Crunch is fun.  If your child enjoys chips, crackers, nuts, and other crunchy snacks then consider providing raw or lightly steamed vegetables. Fresh is always best.  Dehydrated and frozen fruits and vegetables are also good options. Finally, canned foods are my personal final choice that I consider best used in emergency situations.

It also helps to share your meals. Any meal that is shared instantly tastes better. Sit down and eat together. Too often in our busy so-called modern lifestyles, we forsake the dinner table. Children like to feel included and to a child, eating off in a corner by themselves is considered a punishment and that is not appetizing. Also eating in front of the television is not going to encourage them to form healthy habits either. I understand the occasional need to put on their favorite video and hand them a healthy snack but, when introducing new foods or encouraging a healthy habit, it is best done face-to-face in an inclusive setting. Eating habits are adopted by those who your child shares meals with. If you are not sharing meals then who is influencing your child(ren)’s eating habits?

Be Consistent. This may take discipline on YOUR part. With any regimen, consistency is key. Keep in mind that this may need to be revisited.

One final note before I conclude: Do NOT make any negative statements or expressions. Just because you did not like it as a child may not be the case for the child that you are introducing positive habits to. Children are smarter than many give them credit for. They can tell if you are selling something that you don't even buy yourself. How can you expect them to do what you won't do yourself? If you have healthy habits and are there to model and share in the experience, your child(ren) will too. Make sure that you or any other adult is mindful not to make any faces or statements about the food being offered that is contradictory to anything other than this is delicious. If you eat it and think that it is nasty then you need to examine your own beliefs about food and why you feel that way. If it is truly unappetizing then it is best prepare it a different way for improved texture or flavor.  Make it fun. Make it colorful. Make it tasty.


http://www.fairandhealthy.com/2014/01/benefits-of-carrots-for-skin-hair-and.html

No comments:

Post a Comment